Friday, September 09, 2005

I wish women would stop beating themselves up

Reading the bag again. Have to admit I was very happy to see an Audre Lorde quote there: one of my heroines. But aside from that it just saddens me to see women so down on themselves when other people have treated them badly. It's what society does to women isn't it. I'm sure most men wouldn't be going through these mental contortions of shame and guilt when they've done nothing wrong. They complain about society but it's women who seem to actually do the blaming themselves for things that other people do on the whole. I must say that some of the bag are good at helping women over this.

I guess I'd be considered rather prudish as regards my own behaviour on the whole but I don't put other people down for how they choose to live their lives providing they're not hurting anyone cause that would make me some kind of bullying bigot. Some women seem to internalise a lot of misogyny.