Thursday, September 29, 2005

Frank Zappa

I've never liked Frank Zappa's music. Didn't like GTO either so I guess FZ was somewhere way way out of my musical taste. Bought his biography today though. I was looking through it yesterday and read a little about his home life. One of his children said something about going to school and seeing the other kids had normal parents. How many kids say this sort of thing, huh? What the f*ck is normal? I take it FZ didn't abuse his kids (the family had taught their two year old daughter to say "F*ck off pervert" if approached by a lone man), beat the family or do any of the other sadistic things that can go on behind closed doors in outwardly "normal" families.

So what is this with "normal" ?

Hopefully "normal" doesn't include any kind of sadistic behaviour. But what people see as outwardly normal can be hiding a lot of things.

Having said that I wouldn't have liked to have been brought up in the Zappa household I don't think from the little I read. Anyway the book should be an interesting read. Pity I don't like the music.

I do know a bit about him. He was a bit of a sexist from what I've heard which makes me wonder why Germaine Greer used to like him so much.