Thursday, March 02, 2006

Out ... in the other direction

Went out to Birmingham latish this afternoon. When I left here there was no snow. Got on the train and settled down in my seat and got a paper out to read. Looked up again about ten minutes later as we were heading for Coventry and it was snowing quite heavily and obviously had been for a while, or at some time for a while, as the trees and fields were quite heavily frosted with snow. Well, about an inch of snow or so.

The train pulled into Coventry station in the snow and out again where it wasn't snowing, though there was still snow on the ground. And, it carried on like this all the way to Birmingham, just pulling in and out of snow flurries, though the snow along the rest of the line hadn't settled as heavily as it was around Coventry.

I didn't stay long in Birmingham, had gone to the Chinese shop to buy some string. Well, you buy a ready made up sort of clay and string necklace and then take it apart. The string is soft and comes in a selection of muted colours. Though today there wasn't much choice in the string and clay bead line. I need some cotton too, I was too late today to get it. I have the beads and I'll make it in the next couple of days using another piece of string wrapped around the two ends of the bracelet string, then you can just pull the two ends to tighten and close the bracelet and tie the two ends of string together to secure it.

They had some new rings there, a bit like masks, or maybe along the lines of the Easter Island statues. Though they didn't really look like them, but it's the same kind of idea. And they were in a variety of mixtures of colours.

Some of the things they've been getting in recently have been really interesting. I hadn't seen anything like them before and they've really caught my imagination.

I must admit I didn't know much about Chinese design before. I'd been interested in Japanese design through the centuries to the present day. I must admit I find Japanese street design fascinating. Just the clothes and the makeup. Though I saw some pictures from a recent Chinese fashion show and the make up/face art was really, really good. I did wonder if that had influenced some of the British artists a little while back. It was a bit similar.

I was aware of my cold all the time I was out and had taken a pack of tissues with me which I needed. The cold's not affecting my muscles worse. Well, it might a bit I suppose but it's not noticeable and even though it's slow things are continuing to improve.

I guess what happened before apart from the spinal thing where the bug just attacked a weakness was that my body couldn't cope anymore. I wasn't looking after myself or treating myself very well at all. Things just went haywire.

I'm not too bad with this cold though, bit headachy, and it's a wet cold. But it's not too bad at all. Been a bit moody at times, and rather quiet but I seem to be picking up again regardless of the headache.

Bleurrgh.