Monday, December 12, 2005

Seasonal changes

Last year and into the beginning of this year I noticed that flowers were blooming way outside of their usual flowering season. This year I've been ill and haven't been out and about as much as I often am and when I have been out I guess I haven't been taking so much notice of the wildlife, both flora and fauna, as I usually do.

Last winter it was the wild plants that really caught my attention. I noticed the garden plants too as I was walking around but I know wild plants better than garden ones. My gardens have always been full of wild plants rather than cultivated ones and I've spent quite a lot of time walking around the countryside. I know the plants lifecycles pretty well.

The garden plants were brightening up their gardens well past their normal seasons as well though. While walking the roads round here I started talking to a woman who had come out to prune one of her climbing plants. I can't remember if it was December or January but it was well past the time when the plant should've been dormant for the winter. She said that she was surprized it was still growing and that it was still in flower because of the time of year. We talked and I said that a lot of plants were doing the same. The countryside was much greener than it should be at this time of year and still in flower.

This year I haven't been so aware. The Independent printed an article that covered the same phenomenen this year, but in the trees.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article332130.ece


I have noticed birds building nests though. Normally they'd be nesting in Spring not at the beginning of winter.

I'd noticed that the seasonal changeover had shifted in time quite sometime ago but last year it became more obvious. This year I can remember going out for a walk in January and meeting some kids out in short sleeved t shirts and to be sure it was warm enough to be out in summer clothes as I was myself and not feel cold. Though I had taken a jacket out with me because I was so surprised by the temperature. I didn't need it.

It's forecast that this winter it's going to be very cold at times. This is because of weather conditions that have been building up elsewhere. There's been a cold snap that's affected some annual plants but it's still very green out there for this time of year