Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Germaine Greer and that book about adolescent boys

I read an article about this over the weekend in one of the papers. It associated the book to some extent with the cases we've had here of female teachers having affairs with young pupils. I think the last boy was 14. The teacher was in her early thirties.

I just don't get why Germaine Greer would publish a book like that. I wrote about this before but took it down because I didn't think I knew enough about the book to comment, other than it appeared to be a rather unpleasant book. So, I've been reading around and have found out that most of the content is old paintings, though there are some photos in it. But the book does seem to be saying that this is kind of eye candy for women.

I'm sorry but in my mind people of that age shouldn't be sexualised for adults. I find it appalling. I don't care whether they are boys or girls. I also think Ms Greer has done young women/girls a lot of harm because surely if she's saying that it's ok for women to ogle boys of this age, the photo on the cover of the book was of a fifteen year old, then no one can complain when older men do the same to girls of that age.

I believe she was 60 or around that age when she brought this book out.


I don't get the attraction anyway. Why would grown women want to sit there ogling 14/15 year olds. That's for 14/15 year olds to do.


I just find it very very creepy and aggressive.