Monday, August 22, 2005

Article in Real Magazine

I bought Real magazine today to read on the train and there was an article on poly relationships in it. Though the definition of poly relationships seems to be much narrower there than how I see them. I thought it seemed as if they were just writing about people who have open marriages or who sleep with more than one committed partner.

The article was titled Would You Let Your Husband Have A Girlfriend .... or something like that anyway. I thought well only if she was my girlfriend too.

The article was saying that with the way marriages break down and how people cheat maybe guilt free external relationships were the way forward.

I do know someone who is poly in this way after coming out of a long term lesbian relationship, she's bi and has a couple of serious type relationships going on. She's always described herself as poly.

She's really happy and it suits her.

I can't get my mind around it easily because I feel differently from her. But I'm sure not going to put her down for it, or anyone else. These people were adamant about using protection.

Which is certainly more than some cheating het people given the 1 in 25 report that was reported recently. If that's a true statistic just how many people are cheating. There can't be that many women who cheat, don't use protection and become pregnant. A lot of people cheating are men anyway and I'd think most women would be more careful than that. That did shock me to be honest. Not that I'm not unaware that people cheat but what shocked me was that these people weren't using protection and presumably went back to sleep with other people. If they're that careless I wouldn't have thought they'd've gone to be tested either.